Saturday, November 12, 2011

Short Skirts & W

This weekend, M's brother came to visit us. While we did a lot of fun things, (they even went skydiving,) the thing that I found the most interesting was our last-minute trip to an SMU football game. Before the game, we walked around campus to witness a tailgating experience far from what I was used to seeing at Rutgers games. First of all, it was right ON campus, not in some big, cold parking lot, but on a small street that is the backbone of the school, and the strip of land between the lanes going each direction. It was beautiful, with trees and lovely architecture. Second, everyone was dressed up! The apparent uniform for the girls was a short sun dress or skirt with cowgirl boots. Everyone was smiling, drinking, dancing and downright happy with their WASPy tailgate  It was surreal, like something out of a movie. Part of me wonders if I would like to partake in it or if even the thought of that creeps me out in a "Stepford Wife" type way. M, on the other hand, who is thinking of getting his executive MBA there, thought it was amazing and seemed right at home.

Back at the game, there was a flyover and then George W. Bush did the coin toss. Although these were probably mostly because the game was the day after Veterans Day and SMU was playing Army, it was still not something I can say I had seen before. And I'm pretty sure that people were wondering why I was the only one not giving W a standing ovation...

I did get a picture though to share with you guys. :-)

W & his wife at the SMU game

No comments:

Post a Comment