Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend: First Trip Back to NYC

What a wonderful, whirlwind, long weekend! I had been nervous for my first trip back to NYC since the move. Would it be the same? Would it be depressing? Would I be able to drag myself back on the plane to return to Texas?

We arrived in NYC early the morning before Thanksgiving and from the moment I touched down in LGA to the moment I got back on the plane at JFK, I had the biggest smile plastered across my face. Something I hadn't had in months, there's just something about The City. Most of my friends had already left town to be with their families for the holidays, but it was great to visit with those that were still there and spend Thanksgiving with my brother and my boyfriend M's family. My brother and I also celebrated our 5th year in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and I was glad that M could join us this year, as well as a friend of the family who had also walked with us last year. We held the "Big Man Santa" balloon.

We left NYC Friday to head for Pittsburgh for my high school reunion. I was glad I had decided to make the extra effort to go and only wish that I would have had more time to catch up with everyone. In the days of Facebook and the internet, it's amazing how much easier it is to keep in touch, but nothing can beat getting to see a familiar face in person and hear first hand their joys and sorrows through the years.

On Saturday we visited with friends, went to our alma mater's campus and had a second Thanksgiving feast with some dear friends that after Mom passed, we had celebrated Thanksgiving with every year. It was lovely. It really made me think about how much I miss getting to host dinners and parties like that, simply something you can't do from 1,500 miles away.

Before the flight

"S-A-N-T-A", we chanted as we held on tight

2nd Thanksgiving

Visit to our alma mater

High School Reunion

No comments:

Post a Comment