Sunday, September 4, 2011

First United Lutheran Church

Places of worship in Dallas are MASSIVE. It was one of the first things I noticed about Texas when I visited. They look more like office buildings than the corner church I was used to back east. I even say a synagogue that looked like a (slightly) smaller version of Jerusalem itself!

Church has always been a part of my life and I hope to find a new church in Dallas. Today, I checked out my first church, First United Lutheran Church, which happened to be the smallest church I had seen. It was a decent but it reminded me a lot of the church I grew up in with a small congregation (everyone fit at the communion railing at the same time) and an old, traditional song list. I love traditional songs. Spending every Sunday in church with my family, I could practically hear my father singing right next to me. Those moments are especially dear to me since he passed away in November and I was surprised how emotional it made me to feel closer to him again.

Since it was a holiday weekend, (Labor Day,) it probably wasn't a good day to judge the size of the congregation (even the pastor was away on vacation so there was a substitute that day,) but since I'm looking for something a bit bigger that has a younger community so I can meet people, I think I'll keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment