Thursday, October 6, 2011

"How did you escape New York without becoming a New Yorker?"

A coworker today asked me out of nowhere, "What I want to know is, how did you escape New York without becoming a New Yorker?" She had lived in New York City years prior and she meant it as a compliment because the city she knew was harsh and mean. But it felt like an insult since I identify myself as a New Yorker.

And so I reflected, how had I become a New Yorker, what had changed within me from when I identified myself as a Pittsburgher? There were two major things that I had noticed so far from my stay in Texas.

1. Clothing. Okay, maybe this is not only from living in New York, but also from working in the fashion/retail industry. When I first started at macys.com, I remember coming to work in an outfit I was proud of, or in the very least didn't know there was anything wrong with. At work, I quickly learned that my outfit had a name, and that "texas tuxedos" were not in style. I then started to pay attention and learned that style was something that helped you advance. Trends were easy to spot on the streets of the Fashion District and while I rarely bought trendy things, I knew what to avoid.

At one of my first weeks at my new job here, I spotted a woman wearing a "texas tuxedo" and I cringed. And then I realized, I had done the same thing 6 years prior in NYC... And then I saw her still wear it again the next day... Yep, I'm not in The City anymore!

2. Crossing the street. So if there are no cars going, I don't care if the lights aren't in my favor, I'm crossing the street. I'm not sure if it's the urgency of the rush of The City that instilled this in me, but waiting for a light is ingrained as a waste of time.

Here, however, people very clearly look at me like I have 3 heads if I cross before the light switches. Even if there are no cars in sight. Occasionally, I witness others see me make the move and noticeably contemplate crossing themselves. An odd expression comes over their face like they had never thought of that as an option and they slowly extend their foot out as if testing the waters of a pool. There is no shark in there people, just cross!

3. Transportation. As in Pittsburgh, people here drive everywhere. The idea of walking or *gasp* taking public transportation seems like a foreign concept. And I don't even own a car. When I tell people this, they are not only surprised, but curious about how that's possible. I was even once asked, "Wow, what kind of people ride the bus?" Um, people like me...

Overall, I think that New York has changed me in some ways. But I am very proud to say that who I am deep down has never been swayed by where I am geographically. And that's a really important thing to realize and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment