Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Therapy

So Texas has officially put me in therapy.

Dallas is a wonderful city, but I feel a lot of pressure here. I miss NYC so much, especially all my loved ones there and the closer proximity to my friends in Pittsburgh. If that's where I want to end up, should I be here now? There are so many questions about where I want my life to go that I simply don't know the answers to yet. I feel an urgency to figure these things out as soon as possible, or risk regretting going down the wrong path. (One of my biggest fears in life is regret.) This feeling that I need to figure out the answers to these big questions puts a lot of pressure on myself and gives me a great deal of anxiety. Ironically, I'm the one causing myself this stress because I'm the one giving myself this "asap" deadline.

They say that well-educated women over think things... Does this mean I can blame my university for the stress I've had lately? Doubtful, but regardless of who is to blame, I have been feeling a great deal of stress lately so I decided it was time to see a therapist. In my lifetime, I have visited therapists a few times and hadn't had much success. I'm hoping this one will be different and help me figure out my life and take pressure off of myself to relieve the anxiety.

My first session was today and it went well, I think I will return. The one thought she left me with was something that I felt was especially helpful to hear, "Take in the good." She wanted me to really take in the good around me in the moment and appreciate all the wonderful things in my life right now. She's right, I am very lucky.

  • Lucky to have an amazing, caring boyfriend who wants me near.
  • Lucky to have wonderful friends and family who miss me as much as I miss them.
  • Lucky to have a well-paying job in a good working environment where I am empowered, trusted and get to do something that I enjoy while learning a great deal.
  • Lucky to have the health to do the things I want to do.

The list goes on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment