Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hello Texas!

I flew through Charlotte. I knew I was waiting in the right gate for my connecting flight when I noticed that the guy next to me and the girl across from me were both wearing cowboy boots. When I got to my seat in the plane, the loudest girl in the concourse with a baby sat next to me. A guy with a shirt that said "You have to pay for this gun show" and only one tooth on his top gum sat behind me. It felt like a long flight. But as we got closer, I started to feel butterflies. Anxious, excited, I'm not sure what except the feeling of "Wow, this is really happening."

As soon as I landed in Dallas and saw Mark waiting for me in the baggage claim, everything felt wonderful. All the stress of worrying about getting evicted from my Hoboken home melted away. All the worry about the move was gone. It was just my wonderful boyfriend and I together again and it felt great. Mark had brought me gifts. I got my set of keys for our first apartment and a cowgirl hat. Yeehaw! We got my bag and headed to the apartment. It was amazing, just like the model we had seen but with a small patio overlooking the pool. I started getting excited thinking about how we could decorate it together. There wasn't much time to look around though, just enough time for a quick change and then we were off to our first event.

We had made reservations to do a meetup that night (from meetup.com) for 20/30-somethings in Dallas at a steak house in Addison as part of Restaurant Week. We figured it was a great way to meet people. Everyone seemed shocked that I had just landed two hours prior and had great tips for the area. The people were really friendly and we had a lovely dinner. The highlights were when a lawyer admitted that she carries a gun with her in her purse, (at first I thought she was kidding,) and a pilot from jetBlue revealed that jetBlue would be starting flights between Dallas and NYC starting as soon as December! (I had been very disappointed that my favorite airline didn't run to Dallas.) Addison apparently has the most restaurants per capita in Texas and I'm sure we will be back many times to explore that area.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment